Position Statement

Greetings, my name is Marvin. Welcome to Impermanent Insanity Mobile. For many reasons I am embarking on a “Walk Across America”.

I hope to bring awareness to mental illness, particularly three of which I have – Major Depression, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, and Depersonalization Disorder, I would like to particularly bring more awareness to Depersonalization Disorder, a rare but devastating mental illness.

I also hope to bring inspiration to those who suffer from any mental illness. To show them that we are not defined by mental illness., that we are people first, and not our diagnosis. And as a whole person, we can do anything we set our minds to.

This walk is also about Full Disclosure. I have a companion website, Impermanent Insanity, in which I discuss very personal and private thoughts and experiences. Absurd things that have happened in my life, that could have been taken directly from a science fiction novel.

Some of you will think I'm either insane or have an overactive imagination, but to the few of you who see the connection, I tell you the truth for what it is worth.

This Walk is also about clearing my mind, losing weight (I am 60-70 lbs overweight), and interacting and experiencing life with others. It's about Honesty. It is also about regaining control of my life.

Sincerely

Marvin Kirkland

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Day 7 - January 1

Today when we woke up at McDonald's we accidentally locked the keys in the car. While we were looking dumbfounded beside the car, a gentleman named Tom Hemmer asked us what happened. He offered to go to his business down the road and see if he could find a wire clothes hanger. He came back with two of them after having looked at a few different places. Thank you, Tom. I hope the good karma you showed on the New Year comes back to you.

Attempting to get a ride from one side of town to the other which was 4.7 miles would have proven futile, so we decided to just walk to where we had ended the walk on Day 6 and then walk back to the car.

4.7 productive miles + 4.7 backtrack miles = 9.4 total miles today

1 comment:

  1. hello i am surfingisfun001 on dpselfhelp.com. i saw your post about your journey a while back and a member from the forum just informed me that you are in so cal. i don't know where exactly you are but i am in san clemente. i would love to meet up with you and walk, even if just for a day and swap stories/experiences. i have had chronic dp/dr for 4 years. if you get a chance give me a call 949-632-5518. my name is kenny. i will try to re-check this website tomorrow also.

    ReplyDelete