Position Statement

Greetings, my name is Marvin. Welcome to Impermanent Insanity Mobile. For many reasons I am embarking on a “Walk Across America”.

I hope to bring awareness to mental illness, particularly three of which I have – Major Depression, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, and Depersonalization Disorder, I would like to particularly bring more awareness to Depersonalization Disorder, a rare but devastating mental illness.

I also hope to bring inspiration to those who suffer from any mental illness. To show them that we are not defined by mental illness., that we are people first, and not our diagnosis. And as a whole person, we can do anything we set our minds to.

This walk is also about Full Disclosure. I have a companion website, Impermanent Insanity, in which I discuss very personal and private thoughts and experiences. Absurd things that have happened in my life, that could have been taken directly from a science fiction novel.

Some of you will think I'm either insane or have an overactive imagination, but to the few of you who see the connection, I tell you the truth for what it is worth.

This Walk is also about clearing my mind, losing weight (I am 60-70 lbs overweight), and interacting and experiencing life with others. It's about Honesty. It is also about regaining control of my life.

Sincerely

Marvin Kirkland

Monday, December 27, 2010

Day 2 - Rest Day

Even though my feet and ankles didn't hurt nearly as much as the other times I've walked I decided to take a day of rest. My car was such a cluttered mess. I suggested to one of my brothers that he adjoin me on this walk. Through the bloodline, he's my cousin. However, he and 5 other of his siblings became a part of my family in 1987, and they have been my siblings ever since.

I also had to clean and organize so he'll have a place to sleep and store his belongings in my car.

His name is Justin. Just a little over 3 months we lost a dear Brother. It was Justin's identical twin. We are all close, but they lived together at times and were homeless together at times. They argued, fussed, and fought as only siblings can, but they were very close. It was a devastating blow to all of us. It's still unbelievable. Justin has been having an especially difficult time, and I hope he can get from this walk what I expect to get. Some catharsis, some mental, emotional, and spiritual cleansing. That process is unique to each of us, but I believe it could be good for him.

I'm here in my car at the McDonald's parking lot. They are letting me stay over in my car again. I really appreciate that. Thank you to the staff of Bonsall McDonald's.

This post is dedicated to Jason, who will forever be in our hearts and memories. We miss you Brother.

No comments:

Post a Comment