Position Statement

Greetings, my name is Marvin. Welcome to Impermanent Insanity Mobile. For many reasons I am embarking on a “Walk Across America”.

I hope to bring awareness to mental illness, particularly three of which I have – Major Depression, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, and Depersonalization Disorder, I would like to particularly bring more awareness to Depersonalization Disorder, a rare but devastating mental illness.

I also hope to bring inspiration to those who suffer from any mental illness. To show them that we are not defined by mental illness., that we are people first, and not our diagnosis. And as a whole person, we can do anything we set our minds to.

This walk is also about Full Disclosure. I have a companion website, Impermanent Insanity, in which I discuss very personal and private thoughts and experiences. Absurd things that have happened in my life, that could have been taken directly from a science fiction novel.

Some of you will think I'm either insane or have an overactive imagination, but to the few of you who see the connection, I tell you the truth for what it is worth.

This Walk is also about clearing my mind, losing weight (I am 60-70 lbs overweight), and interacting and experiencing life with others. It's about Honesty. It is also about regaining control of my life.

Sincerely

Marvin Kirkland

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Day 3











Would you believe that I got so cold last night that I started my car and cranked up the heater. Then off to slumber land. I woke up not too long after that and luckily the fuel gauge hadn't moved much. I'll try not to do that again. I woke up around 7:30 and walked into the McDonalds I was parked at and had two breakfast burritos. Then I drove the google walking directions and decided to see if I could get permission to park my car at the Rainbow Volunteer Fire Department. They were eager to help out and said "of course". We talked for a bit, and I told them my main reasons for the walk. Their names are Eric and Ricky. Thx guys. Upon leaving I said thanks and Ricky said something I'll never forget. He said "Thank you" to me. That inspired me so much. You guys got my day going really great.

It took me about 1.25 miles of walking before I was able to hitch a ride back to yesterday's ending point. It couldn't have been a nicer couple. Thank you Bill and Mary Lou Goodson. We had good conversation and before I knew it we were at McDonalds.

It was a beautiful walk, with two long hills I had to climb. I came across a branch formation that looked as if a carcass of a cow or horse had been hung over a stump. You have to see it to believe it. When I reached the fire station the guys let me in to chat for a bit and to refill some water bottles then another guy took a pic of us.

Oh yeah, I think I'm starting a book club. lol! I read a little bit of Viktor Frankl's "Man's Search for Meaning". There were some quotes in the forward I'd like to share. It looks as if I'll have time tomorrow to blog about them. we have severe weather approaching. A winter storm, in Southern California! It's supposed to last from tonight and all day tomorrow. The following day looks promising, though.

I'm at Barnes and Noble typing this. Either today or tomorrow I may try to find a truck store where I can take a shower and shave.
I've been told the price is reasonable.

Thank you all for reading and I hope you continue to follow.

12.3 productive miles + 1.3 backtrack miles = 13.6 total miles today

Pic 1 - From left to right - Ricky, me, and Eric

Pic 2 - Tree system that looks like a carcass is draped over it

Pic 3 - I don't know this guy? No, just kidding, it's me

No comments:

Post a Comment