Position Statement

Greetings, my name is Marvin. Welcome to Impermanent Insanity Mobile. For many reasons I am embarking on a “Walk Across America”.

I hope to bring awareness to mental illness, particularly three of which I have – Major Depression, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, and Depersonalization Disorder, I would like to particularly bring more awareness to Depersonalization Disorder, a rare but devastating mental illness.

I also hope to bring inspiration to those who suffer from any mental illness. To show them that we are not defined by mental illness., that we are people first, and not our diagnosis. And as a whole person, we can do anything we set our minds to.

This walk is also about Full Disclosure. I have a companion website, Impermanent Insanity, in which I discuss very personal and private thoughts and experiences. Absurd things that have happened in my life, that could have been taken directly from a science fiction novel.

Some of you will think I'm either insane or have an overactive imagination, but to the few of you who see the connection, I tell you the truth for what it is worth.

This Walk is also about clearing my mind, losing weight (I am 60-70 lbs overweight), and interacting and experiencing life with others. It's about Honesty. It is also about regaining control of my life.

Sincerely

Marvin Kirkland

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Day 4 - Rest Day

Today we had a winter storm so I decided to rest. My feet and ankles thanked me. I seem to be having the most trouble with my right ankle. Inner thigh chaffing is no picnic either.

I had two breakfast burritos at McDonalds then later went to walmart to get some mix activated cold compress. I'm not too impressed with them. I also got a warmer microfiber blanket, more Desiten, and paper towels and a few other small items. Then I went to the 99 cent store and bought $37 worth of food plus a can opener. I think we'll be set for a while.

My brother, Justin is arriving via Greyhound tomorrow mid-afternoon. I have to make room in my car for all of our stuff and still have room to recline in the seats to sleep.

I think the biggest obstacle in this endeavor is securing a ride from the place we slept at to the place we last walked to the day before. I don't want to "double-walk", but will if we have to.

I would like to share with you a list of books that I have with me that I have either started reading or will have read (hopefully) by the end of this trip. It depends if I can get my Ritalin refilled. Yes, I have ADD, also. California won't accept the paper script my doctor wrote for me in Pennsylvania. Perhaps in Arizona.

Anyway, the list -

Fiction:
- "Confessions of a Crap Artist" by Philip K Dick
- "Nausea" by Jean-Paul Sartre

Non-Fiction:
- "Man's Search for Meaning" by Viktor E Frankl
- "Being and Nothingness" by Jean-Paul Sartre (This thing is HUGE)
- "Teachings of the Buddha" edited by Jack Kornfield
- "Peace is Every Step" by Thic Nhat Hanh
- "The Vision of the Buddha" by Tom Lowenstein
- "Tormenting Thoughts and Secret Rituals" by Ian Osborn MD

And I have several magazines I'm reading: Popular Science, Writer's Digest, Analog - Science Fiction and Fact, Asimov's Science Fiction

This should keep me busy when not walking. I also want to read on breaks during the walk, when not engaged in conversation with Justin or anyone we may meet on the way.

I also have a Zen MP3 player with lecture material on several subjects.

I'm interested in doing a Bookclub if anyone would like to join. I'm almost finished with "Confessions of a Crap Artist" by Philip K Dick. The next one I'd like to read is Viktor Frankl's "Man's Search for Meaning". Perhaps we could begin with that one?

It was suggested that I call LA Fitness to see if I could shower there. I did call the nearest one and they said that would be OK. I'm waiting till tomorrow until Justin arrives here in Temecula CA. I'm sure after 2-3 days on a bus, he would like to refresh himself with a shower and shave also.

Not sure where I'm sleeping tonight. I'll camp out in a lot somewhere.

Oh, by the way, if anyone would be able to make a Banner that would fit on the back of my backpack, and business cards, I would be in your debt.

No comments:

Post a Comment