Position Statement

Greetings, my name is Marvin. Welcome to Impermanent Insanity Mobile. For many reasons I am embarking on a “Walk Across America”.

I hope to bring awareness to mental illness, particularly three of which I have – Major Depression, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, and Depersonalization Disorder, I would like to particularly bring more awareness to Depersonalization Disorder, a rare but devastating mental illness.

I also hope to bring inspiration to those who suffer from any mental illness. To show them that we are not defined by mental illness., that we are people first, and not our diagnosis. And as a whole person, we can do anything we set our minds to.

This walk is also about Full Disclosure. I have a companion website, Impermanent Insanity, in which I discuss very personal and private thoughts and experiences. Absurd things that have happened in my life, that could have been taken directly from a science fiction novel.

Some of you will think I'm either insane or have an overactive imagination, but to the few of you who see the connection, I tell you the truth for what it is worth.

This Walk is also about clearing my mind, losing weight (I am 60-70 lbs overweight), and interacting and experiencing life with others. It's about Honesty. It is also about regaining control of my life.

Sincerely

Marvin Kirkland

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Day 5 - Rest Day

My brother, Justin, arrived via Greyhound around 3:00 pm this afternoon. I didn't want to start walking and not be able to pick him up on time so I decided to make today another rest day. I've iced my right ankle and took Naproxen for the inflammation and pain. I feel fairly ready to move on tomorrow, brother in tow.

Thanks go to Al,of LA fitness for letting us take a shower and shave, or at least, I shaved. Then we went to a laundromat to wash some clothes. We helped this lovely lady out to her car with three loads of laundry. We talked for a while and explained to her what we were doing, and she was so excited for us. She asked that we share a prayer together, so we held hands and she delivered an excellent prayer for a great and safe journey. Thank you, Natasha! It was a delight meeting you. Be well.

Tonight, we are staying at the 7-11 that I stayed at last night. In the morning, my brother and I begin our journey together.

No comments:

Post a Comment